Sex offender registry laws are covered by the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and state that all people who have been convicted of specific sex crimes must register as sex offenders with a law enforcement agency. When you have been convicted of a sex crime, you will be notified of your duty to register after your jail sentence or probation. Every year, you must update your information with local law enforcement and the website automatically keeps track of required updates, if you are in violation, and much more.

Crimes That Constitute Registration 

There are some sex offenses that are more common than others. These include the following:

  • Sexual conduct with a minor
  • Sexual assault
  • Child Molestation
  • Lewd and lascivious acts
  • Indecent exposure
  • Taking a child for the purpose of prostitution
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Incest
  • Kidnapping
  • Failure to register as a sex offender

Failing to Register 

Let’s take a look at that final crime mentioned: failure to register as a sex offender. If you fail to register, you could be convicted of a California crime for your failure. This happens if you have not registered every year within 5 working days of your birthday, or every time you move to a new address. If you knowingly evade registering even just one time, you will receive charges. An example of this is a college student who was convicted of statutory rape and then moves to a new city, but doesn’t tell anyone.

So how would you be charged for this crime? Well, it depends. If the sex crime that required you to file was a misdemeanor, then you will also receive a misdemeanor for failing to register, which could lead to a year in prison. However, if the crime was a felony, then you will receive a felony under California law. This could lead to months to several years behind bars.

If you have failed to register, we can help. Sometimes, you may have attempted to register but your information was lost. Sometimes, you may have been falsely accused of the crime. No matter what defense you want to bring in your case, we are here to talk to you and help you get the best results. Call us at The Law Office of Peter Blair today.