Addicted (third in the series)California Welfare and Institutions Code Section 781 states that you can have your California juvenile criminal record sealed. If you were under 18 when a crime was committed, you may still have a chance to make right with your life thanks to 781 WIC. This is an extremely special opportunity because, if the court seals your juvenile record, this means that it will no longer exist and you will be able to say that you do not have a criminal record if you are asked about it in an event of receiving a job, driver’s license, loan, or to rent an apartment.

Am I Eligible?

If you want to ask the court to seal your records, you must first determine if you are eligible or not. In many California counties, you will need to contact the probation department to file a petition. You qualify if you are at least 18, or if it has been 5 years since your case was closed or a judge decides that you have been rehabilitated. However, not everyone is eligible. If the court found that you committed a particularly serious offense when you were 14 or older, you have an adult conviction, or you were convicted as an adult of an offense of moral turpitude, you will not be permitted to have your record sealed.

More About the Process

In many counties, you and your attorney will need to fill out forms listing all of your juvenile arrests and cases to move forward in the process. The probation department will then usually research your case to determine if you are eligible. You will have to pay a fee for this process. The probation department will have about 90 days to review these forms and tell the court if you are eligible. The court may make a decision right away or order a hearing. To better understand how this process works and how long it may be from start to finish, you can call us today for more information. At The Law Office of Peter Blair, we have the answers to all of your important questions and are willing to help you in your time of need.