Appellate courts have been known to overturn guilty verdicts in some cases, though it is rare. This is especially true in cases where trial court errors have occurred and the outcome has significantly changed as a result. Some errors by the court are harmless and do not affect the rest of the outcome, while others are huge matters that are seen as harmful and could dictate the outcome of your overall case. This is true in cases where you were coerced into making a confession even though you didn’t commit the crime.

So, what happens if you have been convicted of a crime but you believe that the guilty verdict was in error? You will want to go through a conviction reversal, which is not an easy process by any means – but one that is worth looking into.

Conviction Reversal 

You, as a defendant in a case, always have the right to challenge a verdict if you believe that mistakes have been made in your case. This is only fair under the law. These are called ‘appeals’ and ‘writs.’ Here is how both work:

  • Appeal: Appeals can be filed if you have a convincing argument that shows serious mistakes were made in your case. Maybe a search warrant was obtained in an unjust way. This would be a good idea of when you could appeal a case, showing the court that evidence was obtained illegally.
  • Writ: You could file a writ in cases where you believe that injustice has taken place. This is an order from the higher court that says some type of action must take place. Your case may have undergone changes, such as the introduction of new DNA evidence, and now the case is forever altered.

It is a difficult process to reverse a conviction, but this does not mean that it is impossible. We want to help if you are going through this specific process and need assistance on your side. Call us as soon as possible for results at the Law Office of Peter Blair.