Police car in pursuitThe State of California has a Department of Motor Vehicles, which administers vehicle registrations and driver licenses, as well as handles many other aspects of the roads. Because DUIs have been on the rise over the years and risk the lives of many, California has issued an immediate driver’s license suspension or revocation to drivers age 21 and older when they have been driving under the influence. If your BAC was over 0.08% while driving a noncommercial vehicle, an officer will give you an order of suspension or revocation. There are some things you may want to know regarding your California DUI and license suspensions, which we will answer today, as provided by the DMV.


How do I get my license back after the officer confiscates it? After the suspension or revocation is complete, your license will be returned to you, provided you pay the $125 reissue fee to the DMV. If it is determined that you were actually not driving under the influence, your license will be returned to you.

What is the administrative hearing I have to attend? Your notice of suspension will tell you to attend an administrative hearing ten days from now. The purpose of this hearing is to show that the suspension was not justified. 

What happens if the officer stated that I refused to take a chemical test? You are required to take a chemical test by blood or breath to determine the alcohol or drug content of your blood. If you refused to take one, this will be stated accordingly. 

If I didn’t take the chemical test, how long will my driving privilege be suspended? If you were 21 years or older, a first offense will lead to a 1-year suspension, and years will be added on to each offense. If you were under 21, the same rules apply.

It is important to know what you will be facing if you have been charged with a DUI. These cases can be quite complex, so it pays to have an experienced defense attorney on your side if you believe that you were falsely arrested or have a viable defense. Call us today for more.