Are you facing gang allegations in San Diego, California? California takes participation in a criminal street gang very seriously and imposes enhanced penalties on people if they commit crimes while affiliated with a gang.
Whether you are being charged with gang participation or a gang-related crime, Blair Defense Criminal Lawyers can help. Our founding attorney has over a decade of criminal defense experience helping the accused avoid jail time, fines, and other collateral consequences – and we’ll put that experience to work for you.
Gang enhancement charges are serious, and you shouldn’t face them alone. Contact us today to speak with a San Diego gang allegations lawyer and get the help you need. Our criminal defense law firm offers a free, confidential consultation, so call today to schedule yours at (619) 357-4977.
How Blair Defense Criminal Lawyers Can Help If You’re Being Accused of Gang Affiliation in San Diego, CA
Even if you committed a minor crime, you could face enhanced penalties if the prosecution believes your criminal activity was gang-related. Blair Defense Criminal Lawyers will help you fight these allegations and build a defense strategy to weaken the prosecution’s case against you.
Your future and freedom are on the line – so you need an experienced San Diego criminal defense lawyer on your side.
When you hire our dedicated legal team to represent you, we’ll:
- Investigate your alleged crime and the charges against you
- Build a legal defense tailored to the facts of your case to push back against gang allegations
- Keep you updated at every step of the legal process and ensure you understand the consequences of your decisions
- Negotiate with the prosecutor to reach a favorable plea deal if we cannot get your charges dismissed
- Fiercely advocate for you in court if your case goes to trial
We don’t back down from a fight. We believe all accused people have a right to exceptional legal representation. If we have to take your case to trial, we’ll do everything we can to obtain a not guilty verdict.
Contact us today to speak with a Criminal Defense attorney in San Diego. The sooner you retain our services, the quicker we can start fighting for you.
What is Considered a Gang in California?
California law defines a “criminal street gang” as an association, organization, or group of at least three people that:
- Commits one of the enumerated crimes as one of its primary activities;
- Has a common name, symbol, or sign; and
- Engages in a pattern of criminal gang activity.
To be charged with participation in a gang, the prosecution must be able to prove that the defendant:
- Actively participates in the gang;
- Knows that the gang members engage or have engaged in a pattern of criminal activity; and
- Intentionally assists in, promotes, or furthers that activity.
The prosecution has the burden of proving every element of its case beyond a reasonable doubt, which is a high standard of proof. We’ll fight to secure evidence to rebut the prosecutor’s case. Contact our San Diego criminal defense attorneys as soon as possible so we can get to work and attempt to have your charges dropped.
What is Considered Gang-Related Activity in California?
“Criminal gang activity” includes committing, attempting to commit, conspiring, soliciting, or being convicted of two or more of the following crimes by two or more alleged gang members on different occasions:
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Homicide or manslaughter
- The possession/offer for sale, sale, transportation, or manufacture of a controlled substance
- Shooting at an inhabited vehicle/dwelling or from a vehicle
- Intimidating victims and witnesses
- Grand theft and vehicular theft
- Money laundering
- Felony extortion
- Various firearm offenses
Contact Blair Defense Criminal Lawyers if you’ve been charged with any of these crimes and face a gang affiliation enhancement.
What Are the Penalties for Gang-Related Offenses in California?
The penalties will vary depending on the circumstances of the case.
If you’re convicted of actively and knowingly participating in a gang (with no additional criminal conviction), you may face imprisonment for one to three years. This depends on whether it’s charged as a misdemeanor or felony.
If convicted of a felony in connection with participation in a gang, you can face gang enhancement penalties, which add additional prison time on top of the felony penalties.
In that case, you can face an additional:
- Two to four years in jail at the court’s discretion if it’s a generic felony
- Five years in jail if it’s a serious felony
- Ten years in jail if it’s a violent felony
- Fifteen years to life for specific felonies, like home invasion robbery
You may also face collateral consequences, such as:
- Job loss or the inability to find employment
- Loss of child custody or visitation rights
- Inability to secure housing or a loan
- Loss of any professional licenses or certifications
- Loss of the right to own a firearm
Contact us today to get a compassionate team to fight for your future. We’ll work on dismissing or reducing your charges. If we can’t do that, we’ll fiercely negotiate with the prosecutor to mitigate the penalties and consequences you may face.
Contact Our San Diego Gang Allegations Lawyer For a Free and Confidential Consultation
If you’re facing gang allegations in San Diego, CA, you need an experienced lawyer to advocate for you and reduce the enhanced penalties you may face. Blair Defense Criminal Lawyers can help.
We’ve been defending the accused for over ten years and have the skills, experience, and dedication to get the results you need.
Contact us today to discuss your case. We’re available 24/7 to take your call, and we’re ready to get started.